Wednesday 4 February 2015

Observational Drawings


I spent two minutes on this observational drawing I started off with line drawing to practise the shape of my chosen animal.

  • My goals for the next piece is to consider light and dark lines to create 



Here I have my next observational drawing of my chosen piece
I used the lightest B pencil to have a very smooth lines and get geometrical shapes as "Geometry" is my starting point.
I reviewed this piece and I believe I need to add more tones and shades to illustrate movements of the wild animal.



As my last piece was very light and delicate, I have used more pressure on my pencil drawing which gave my piece more attention than the other lighter pieces





Here I have used a black pen to mark the most expressive lines of my Ox's face. (This OX is from Hong Kong and also said to be my past life's form, 1997=Ox)













I have drawn the same section from my piece as above but I have used a pencil.



Comparison

Pen drawing has a darker effect whereas pencil drawing is more accurate with the shapes and compositions.

I have learned that the mixture of these both techniques would enhance my work twice as much therefore for my next pieces I will consider using pencil first for accurate mark making and using pen over the pencil marks for more accurate form and darker effect for the piece. 


The print above is from my charcoal drawing, which is accidentally created when closed my sketchbook.
Even though it seems like an accident, I really admire the idea of my observation charcoal design being printed..


Using charcoal I have achieved the most visually attractive drawing as it highly contrasts with the white background.






As I learned from my previous drawings of pen and pencil that using pencil gave my work more accurate and using pen made it look more appealing. therefore, here I have used pencil to begin with with and marked over with pen.

This piece turned out very geometric as of the shapes and patterns. 
The combination of pencil and pen has enhanced the quality of this piece, although the cross-hatch section on the right is something I need to improve on..







I have here drawn an observational drawing of my Ox's shadow created by my mini book lamp.
This shadow itself forms into the shape of a bull's head.

from this piece I have learned that making deep mark on the surface (page) without any use of direct ink, leaves a small depth which is not easily filled up with pencil marks, unless done with the intention. 

As you can see in the image above that the sharp point is clearly visible which also contrast with the rest of the piece.


My next plan
I will use a tracing paper over my sketchbook page to engrave deep marks on my piece, then I will shade all around the marks which I will have created.

This piece turned out better than I expected primarily because of the technique I have used.
I am also grateful of the accident which occurred on my previous piece which let to explore the idea in more depth.


Here I have a series of observational drawings of a goat from different angles.




As you can see I have used tracing paper to indent the marks to create a visual contrast between the white marks and the grey pencil shade to form the shape
of this goat. Although, I experimented the technique, I wasn't very satisfied because of the plain look as the piece wasn't "Geometrical"

Therefore for my next practises I planned to add more details containing more geometrical appearances. I have focused on the goat's head with horns which has some parallel lines giving my piece more appealing look.



I moved on to add the body tone also... which contains more lines creating some sort of geometric patterns.


The image on the left is an example of indentation on paper.
I have used pressure on the pen to indent the paper for shading to present the geometric patterns on such animal. I have also used motions and moments on my pencil while shading to create similar actions of the animals.

I have indented the paper creating the goat from different angles. 
Then I have shaded the goat using different materials; charcoal, pencil and graphite.






I have also used motions and movents on my pencil while shading to create similar actions of the animals.




Materials I have used are: Pen, paper (to indent marks), Charcoal
Techniques I used: Observation, mark making, 





 








No comments:

Post a Comment